I am all about comfort food, so when it comes to greasy hash browns (that I shouldn’t be eating) I like to find an alternative that makes me still feel like I’m eating somewhat the same thing (kinda)! Making these veggie fritters is super easy and the crispiness you get from frying in coconut oil to dipping them in the yummy yogurt sauce, I didn’t miss my greasy hash browns one bit!
There is one preparation step that you can’t afford to miss, it’s what helps them become more crispy! So pay close attention…
Start off by grating your zucchini, squash and onion.
Next, place grated veggies into a strainer over a bowl. This is very important. Sprinkle with salt and let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. The longer you let it sit, the more water will come out and the crispier they will be.
Add in minced garlic and seasonings.
Then add in egg and flour.
Mix until well combined. Melt coconut oil in a glass dish and add to pre-heated pan.
When oil is hot in pan, take small scoops and press flat into pan, Should be nice thin patties. (Mine were slightly too thick) Cook 1-2 min per side or until golden.
Remove from heat, and top with yogurt sauce!
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 cup squash, grated
- ¼ cup onion, grated
- Dash of Salt
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup 0% greek yogurt
- 2 TBS chile verde salsa
- Grate zucchini, squash and onion.
- Place in a strainer over top of a bowl. Sprinkle salt over top and stir to coat.
- Let sit 20 min while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Remove from strainer and place into medium bowl.
- Add in seasonings, minced garlic, egg and flour.
- Stir to combine.
- Melt coconut oil in microwave and pour into pre heated pan.
- Take small scoop and flatten out thin in pan. Cook 2 min per side or until golden and crisp.
- While cooking mix sauce ingredients together.
- Remove fritters from pan and top with sauce.