Since the New Year I have, like most of the world, been wanting to change my diet. Its really hard when you have little picky eaters, teenagers and hungry husbands. I have also been wanting to get serious about my blog and really start posting what YOU want to see & hear. So I came up with a survey to better understand my followers and so far the majority of you want healthier options. (If you haven’t taken the survey yet, please do so here) So it’s as if you are all forcing me to eat healthier! Haha, hey we can all use a little motivation here and there!
So last week I had bought some bananas thinking they would get eaten….well we were so busy that literally NONE of them were eaten! I didn’t want to waste them so I thought why not bake with them. Now when I think of healthy baking I think EWE! So let me just tell you, if I post something healthy, it will definitely taste good because I am super picky.
Today I have for you some super easy and healthy Peanut Butter Banana Muffins. Even better, with Chocolate Chips! Now I know chocolate isn’t necessarily healthy, I used semi-sweet, you can use dark or opt out completely if you’d like and they would still be delish!
First combine all wet ingredients together (bananas, melted butter, yogurt, crunchy peanut butter, egg, vanilla paste, & molasses) in a medium sized bowl, mixing well.
Then in a larger bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, oats, cinnamon, allspice, salt, baking soda & baking powder) Whisk together.
Add the wet to the dry and stir together with spoon, will be thick but will mix together easily.
Don’t forget to add the chocolate chips!
Pre- het oven to 350. Now you can either spray your muffin tins with cooking spray or use muffin liners. Drop spoonfuls into muffin tins, should fill 12.
Bake anywhere from 20-30 minutes. Mine were done at 20. Do the toothpick test and if it comes out clean at 20 min then they are done! Now let cool and store in a ziplock or airtight container in the fridge. These are so great when you want something filling but not totally fattening for breakfast or a snack, just pop one in the microwave for a few seconds and viola!
These muffins are so moist, have the perfect amount of sweetness, and are surprisingly very filling!
- 2 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 4 TBSP butter, melted
- ½ cup natural crunchy peanut butter (or any nut butter you like)
- 1 lg egg
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 TBSP molasses-optional (can substitute honey, maple syrup or agave)
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour (or just regular whole wheat flour)
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓-1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips-optional ( can substitute dark chocolate)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Prep muffin tins by greasing or wrappers.
- In a medium bowl combine wet ingredients-bananas, greek yogurt, melted butter, peanut butter, egg, vanilla paste, & molasses.
- Mix well.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients-flour, oats, cinnamon, allspice, salt, baking soda & baking powder.
- Whisk together.
- Add wet to dry and stir to combine. Batter will be thick but easy to stir.
- Add chocolate chips and stir.
- Spoon into muffin tin, should fill 12.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean, may take up to 30 minutes.
- When done let cool and enjoy! Store in air tight container and place in refridgerator.