With the month of December filled with family and friends and LOTS of bad eating, I am excited to start eating healthier starting off by changing the way I bake! Now I will still throw in those mouth watering, full of fat and sugar posts, but for now I need to take it down a notch.
I have made flourless goodies before, not saying they always taste good, but I have definitely made them haha! This one has a secret ingredient. You might think yes I know what it is…Black Beans! Nope, wrong! Something else that I have been learning about that can be used as a four replacement as well. Chickpeas! And they still actually taste great!! Also, instead of the normal processed sugar, I used sucanat, which is a lot like a healthy brown sugar. Very delicious and a lot healthier for you. I also chose to use crunchy natural peanut butter, but it would honestly taste great with any type of nut butter.
So lets get this started! Oh I forgot to tell you….this is so dang easy, you just throw all the ingredients into a food processor and bang! Brownies made.
I started by rinsing and draining the chickpeas and blending them first a little bit in the food processor. But after they are rinsed and drained toss them along with all ingredients excess the chocolate chips into the food processor.
Blend until well combined, may need to stop and scrape down edges every once in awhile.
Now, I chose to dump this into a bowl to stir in the chocolate chips but if its easier then just stir them in while its all still in the processor.
In an 8×8 pan lay down parchment paper for easy removal, or grease. Dump batter into pan and spread evenly, may stick a little to spoon. I sprinkles a few extra chocolate chips on top…shhhh!
Bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes. I checked mine at 15 and toothpick came out clean so keep an eye on them!
Now slice and enjoy!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup crunchy natural peanut butter
- 1 egg-optional (made for a slightly cakier texture)
- ⅓ cup sucanat (can substitute for honey or agave)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- ½ cup - 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Grease 8x8 pan or lay parchment down.
- Add chickpeas to food processor and blend for a min or so.
- Add all other ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Scraping sides as you go.
- Stir in chocolate chips, save some for sprinkling on top if you'd like.
- Dump into pan and bake for 15-25 minutes. Mine was done at 15 so keep an eye on them!
- Slice and enjoy!
- Makes 9 large brownies or a dozen smaller ones,