Today I am feeling a bit laggy. I’ve caught my kids cold. It never fails that us moms get sick, if you have a trick to not getting sick please fill me in!
So last night the hubby suggested I make my grandmas Broccoli Cheese Soup, I can never say no to this soup!
It originally comes from a recipe in an old cookbook, she’s switches a few of the ingredients and this soup is too good to pass up! It does have a secret ingredient that you may disagree with and hate, but I’m sorry, it makes this soup what it is!
Its usually made with fine egg noodles. This time around we chose a tiny bit thicker noodle, but my preference would be the super fine ones! Thats another thing that makes this Broccoli Cheese Soup unique is the fact that it has noodles, you don’t see that very often.
I chose to make it easy and go for the pre-cut veggies, hey it was late and I wasn’t feeling well.
The only thing you will have to chop is the onion. You can use whatever type of carrots you’d like, I want to try shredded one of these times. Feel free to chop up a head of broccoli, I usually do, but if you are feeling lazy, the pre-cut ones work just fine!
Here it is….the secret ingredient!
Yup, your eyes are seeing right, VELVEETA! I know, its not even real cheese, but its sooooo good in this soup! You can switch it out for american, sharp or whatever floats your boat, but I can’t guarantee the flavor or creaminess!
Make sure to chop it up, it will make for quick melt time.
- 2 TBS butter
- ¾ cup chopped white onion
- 6 cups water
- 6 bouillon cubes
- 8-12oz package fine egg noodles (kluski is the brand I like if you can find it)
- 1½ cups chopped carrots
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 10oz packages broccoli (depending on how much broccoli you want)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 cups milk
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Lb cubed velveeta
- In a large soup pot melt butter and cook onions for 3 min on high.
- Add water and bouillon cubes and simmer until dissolved.
- Gradually add noodles, carrots & salt, boil 5 min.
- Stir in broccoli and garlic powder. Boil another 4 min.
- Add milk, pepper & cheese. Continue cooking until cheese has fully melted, stirring frequently.
- Can be frozen, use within 1 month.
Hope you guys enjoy this, or at least give it a try! Also, the bread we ate with it is this delicious bread from our Publix bakery, its a jalapeño cheddar loaf, if you have a Publix near you..try it! If not, any loaf bread would taste great!